The worst may be over at Mumbai, but we see no end in sight for terrorism. Indian security system is highly vulnerable to terrorist attacks and no Indian city is safe. The modus operandi and the magnitude of the disaster in Mumbai, definitely has multiple implications - politically, economically and socially. It is time that India (read Indian Government) and its citizens, handle this professionally and equip themselves better.
Following are some thoughts from the mind of an Indian citizen, who desperately wants to see a change:
- Repair the damage - Numerous lives, limbs and property were damaged in the carnage. Appoint a committee to analyze the extent of damage and provide suitable assistance, both financially and physically, to the real needy
- Reorganize the Security forces - Stationing NSG commandos only at Delhi, no longer holds good. Virtually any Indian city or town is vulnerable. Distribute the forces, at least across the Metro cities for better management
- Strengthen the Security system - Intelligence is the key to prevent terrorist attacks. With terrorists resorting to technological tools for communication and coordination, it is high time that the security system is revamped. Take consulting help from developed nations like US and UK to introduce the security and intelligence forces to technological advancements. If required, these forces can be trained by experts from abroad
- Procure sophisticated arms and train security forces - When terrorists procure sophisticated arms and get themselves trained, why not the security forces? Do this and equip them better for disasters
- Better manning of the Port of Entries - Time and again the intelligence reports talk about terrorists filtering into India. Airports must be better manned and constantly surveillanced for unscruplous elements. Indian coastline is porous and better manning is required there too
- Elaborate the situation in a summit - This incident and the other terrorist attacks, definitely are a hit to India, economically. Investors and MNCs from around the world, would think twice before moving into India. It is up to the Indian Government to change the mindset of the external world. Once the situation stabilizes, host a summit that possibly includes leaders from around the world and discuss on the conditions and steps taken to counter terrorism. This can also help to obtain assistance from other countries
- Nab and punish/remove corrupt officials - Terrorists cannot flourish without black sheeps within the Governmental system. Nab these ba****ds out and punish them suitably. They spread like wild fire, corrupting the entire system
We, the citizens, pay a hefty 33% tax to the Government. We are even ready to pay a little more, towards strengthening the security system. But more than the money, what is required is inspiration, accountability, and responsibility on part of the Indian Government. WE NEED A CHANGE AND A SECURE SOCIETY. Can they (or is it we??) deliver it?