Professional Blogs are meant to be professional. Look at the posts on ProBlogger or Copyblogger. They all have a commonality. They all have an advice to broadcast or a problem to solve. There are many blogs which does nothing but exist. What are the things that piss you off in a professional blog? Read on for my list.
Following is my brief list of “Things I hate” in a Professional Blog, that I follow:
- Purely Personal Posts – If is just about one’s accomplishments, making $10000 a month, blah-blah…, then it is better to just keep off. I am OK if it gives me some pointers or tips. But nevertheless, I am seldom impressed by a trumpet! (Occasional personal posts are OK if it’s an announcement or a broadcast message!)
- Very Little Excerpt of Posts in Home Page/RSS Feed – This is something that pisses me off. The first thing you notice in a blog is the latest post and it turns me down if I have to click further to read it. Excerpts in RSS feed to boost Blog traffic, is the limit!
- Too many images in every Post – Images are good if they are relevant and are used to demonstrate or emphasize something. But 10-15 images on a post that demonstrates nothing just disappoints both the reader and the Search Engine
- Home Page load time exceeds a minute – If I go to a blog home page, just to wait for more than a minute for the page to load completely, then that would be my last visit!
- Advertising Images/Text dominating the content – As I often repeat in my posts, advertisement must co-exist with the content. Readers don’t come to a blog to click on Ads. They read content and are happy to give you money, by clicking the relevant Ads. A website predominantly full of ads, remembers me of spam stuff
So, now it’s your turn. What do you hate to see in a Blog? What kind of characteristics or content urge you to unfollow a blog/website? Discuss in the comments!